Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Letter






So, I was actually at work when I got the call. Closing, as usual. Ever since I got promoted last December that's been my default--closing. It's worked well for me so far and I enjoy the chill winding down of the day.
So, that's where I was, at my store, just me and another Barista, working on Supervisory things when I got a call from my Mom who said that she had something really important to tell me but since I was busy at the moment I had to call her back.
After we finished helping the customers and the store was slow enough for me to comfortably step away, I let my Barista know that I was going in back and gave her a call.
So, she told me she had received two letters from UW, one labeled "The BIG envelope" (obviously good news with a title like that) and one from the Admissions office. I'm not gonna lie, when I heard that news, I was definitely doing that super-bubbly, excited 5-year-old, Christmas morning, jumping up and down number.
True story.
Probably had the biggest, dopiest grin on my face coming back on the floor afterwards. Related the news to my Barista (one of my bestest buddies) and told her and another friend I'd let them know when I actually opened the letter and found out for real if I was accepted. Which I was. Freakin' awesome.

I mean, I knew I'd applied and I knew I'd made a little deal with Jesus that if getting into UW was what He wanted me to do then I trusted Him to get me in but still--it was so surreal actually holding that letter in my hands and reading those first two sentences:

"Congratulations! With great pleasure I offer you admission to the Seattle campus of the University of Washington for the 2012 Fall quarter"

Oh, heck yes. Freakin' amazing, best feeling ever. If you've ever gotten an acceptance letter, you know what I'm talking about. Christmas morning, right? Yeah.

The best/hardest part now is going to be what comes next.
First off, I've gotta move. I live an exceptional distance from Seattle and currently do not own a car and even if I did, would definitely not want to be making that commute to Seattle for school and then back to work. Yeah, no thanks.

So, I need to move. I've never moved before so that's an adventure itself. My family has talked of moving before and came close a few times but it never happened and so this will all be new.
I'm thinking I want to stay away from dorms because people say, "Dorm life is great!" the way they say, "McDonalds is a great first job!" --which means it isn't and that's just a nice way of saying, "It freakin' sucks!"

So, no dorms. The only way I would consider it is if I could get a single dorm because I don't do roommates. Which is odd you might think, since I've grown up with 8 siblings but here's the truth: I'm somewhat of a distrusting person and maybe a little conceited because I basically don't trust that people are as motivated as I am--motivated enough to do what it takes (which includes avoiding doing what it doesn't, if you know what I mean) to get where I need to go and do what I need to do to absolutely succeed 110%. Maybe a little snobbish but I kind of don't care. I graduated after 2 years from a community college with a 3.87 GPA and I'm going to fight to keep that grade up.

Before I move though, I've gotta get a few things into UW Admissions to make sure I get into UW for sure. Like my new official transcript, since all they've got currently is my transcript up through the outset of Winter Quarter. Then I've got to go to the Orientation thingy that I've never been to before (I'll let you guys know all about it when that happens) and figure out what's going to happen from there.

So, lots of stuff coming up, super-excited, kind of awesome. I can't really start a lot of things in motion until tomorrow since today is Sunday and I wouldn't be able to get ahold of the college to send off my transcript anyways. So, I'll let you all know how that goes!

Until then, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment